Saturday, April 30, 2011

April Reads

This month was a "banner reading month" because I managed to read 12 books!!! This record setting month was due to spring break, a week in the mountains for Outdoor Science School, and reading quite a few children's or Young Adult novels (which are usually shorter than adult novels). So here's what I spent April reading:

 Loser by Jerry Spinelli...I read this to write questions for our Battle of the Books competition. You can't help but fall in love with the main character, Donald Zinkoff. Reading about his childhood and love of school was an interesting journey. (also a SRTC read)

Family Affair by Debbie Macomber...Picked this up off the New Books shelf at the library on a Sunday afternoon. The novel was less than 100 pages and I read that same afternoon. Nothing special, a light romance centered around two cats.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne...I wanted to read this book before I saw the movie. I'm considering reading it to my fifth grade reading enrichment group. We just finished reading Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli and I wanted a follow up book about the Holocaust to read with them.  (also a SRTC read)

Cut by Patricia McCormick...another YA read. I first discovered this author last month when I read Sold. I didn't like this one as much as Sold but it was a decent and quick read.

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman...I've been meaning to read this one for a few months now. It was a quick read and sure made a lot of sense. Can't wait to apply some of the things I've learned to make my marriage even better (also a SRTC read)

Unwind by Neal Shusterman...this was recommended to me by Kendra, my friend Christine's daughter. Wow, what a read! I couldn't put this book down. The sequel is coming in 2012 and I can't wait to read it. A great YA read. (also read for SRTC)

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult...I always look forward to Picoult's newest release. She's one of my favorite authors. In this one, she weaves together a complicated story of infertility, untraditional marriage, and music therapy. It was an interesting read but definitely not my favorite of hers. (also read for SRTC)


Harvest Moon by Robyn Carr...Not even sure how I wound up with this book on my TBR pile from the library (and added to my SRTC list). I am not much of a romance genre reader but the storyline of this novel caught my attention somewhere along the way (probably on amazon recommends section). Anyway, the story was entertaining and the mention of food (the main character is a chef) kept me reading as well. Read this book in less than two days during spring break and it is over 350 pages. It's the 13th title in Carr's  Virgin River series and I'm almost tempted to read the whole series. But then again, that's a lot of romance novels and I'm not sure if that's where I want to devote my reading time.
 
Keeping Time by Stacey McGlynn...pulled this title off the "new books" shelf at the library based on the title and cover. This book totally drew me in and I read it in a couple of days. I loved the main character, Daisy, and her sense of adventure. A great first novel by a new author.

The Icing on the Cupcake by Jennifer Ross... a quick, fluff read from the library. Each chapter was followed by a cupcake recipe. Cute book.

God's Guest List  by Debbie Macomber...I enjoy reading Macomber's books and have read a couple of her nonfiction inspirtional books. This book has a great message to think about who God has brought into your life and how you can influence other's lives for the better. (also a SRTC book).

Tinkers by Paul Harding...I first heard about this book on the Books on the Nightstand podcast back in May 2010. I was able to buy it for my Kindle for only $5 a while back. This book really disappointed me. I could NOT get into the storyline or the language. It just seemed to drag on and on. I admit to quickly fast forwarding through several pages a few times throughout the novel. I will still count it as a book read since I didn't abandon it, even though I skimmed some sections. I won't be recommending this to anyone. (also a SRTC book).

What did you read in April? What's your favorite book read that you'd recommend to me?

No comments: