Thursday, March 31, 2011

March Reads

I'm taking a break from Facebook during this lenten season so I have had much more time to read. This month's reading is a mix of children's books, finishing up books "in progress" for several months, and just fun reading!  I can't believe I managed to read six novels and finished up two other books that had been in progress for a few months.

Dave at Night by Gail Carson Levine...This novel was read aloud to my fifth graders over the course of a couple of months in preparation for Ms. Levine's visit to our school. While it had an interesting plot, it was not a favorite of mine. The students enjoyed it though.

Commuters by Emily Gray Tedrowe...I must admit the cover of this novel drew me in. LOL  I love the feeling of walking or driving by people's homes and being able to see life inside the house. I know, weird! Back to the book, I really enjoyed this novel. It's about an elderly couple that marry and how both families react to the marriage. There are some interesting plot turns. I like the end of the novel where the author lists some of her favorite books.

The Table Experience by Devi Titus...This is a book I needed to finish from last fall. It was one of the bible study books from church. I bought the book fully intending to participate in the Wednesday night study but then missed the first few weeks and just never went after all. I started reading the book and then put it to the side. My friend, Christine, wants to read it so I pushed myself to finish it up on a rainy Sunday this month. Lots to think about regarding how the table is such an important place in your home and for your family. Wish I had read it when my boys were little. I think it is a worthwhile read. (also read for SRTC 2011)

The Girls from Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow...my friend, Terry, lent me this book over a year ago. Then I lent it to my sister before I got to read it. I finally picked it up and read it. I really enjoyed it because I love to read about female friendships that stand the test of time. Keeping the 10 girls straight was a challenge at times. I checked out the website too. Another book I recommend!

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine...I'm always on the lookout for a great book to read aloud to my fifth graders. Not just one with an interesting plot, but one that will promote discussion about diversity, respect, and life in general. This book fit all those requirements. It's narrated by a fifth grade girl with Asperger's. It's beautifully written. I am excited to share it with my students. (Also read for SRTC 2011)

So Much Pretty  by Sara Hoffman...Saw this title recommended on some book blog (can't remember which one) and requested it from the library. It was a compelling read with lots to think about. I recommend it. (also read for SRTC 2011)

Sold by Patricia McCormick...Another book I read about on a book blog. This book was read on a Saturday night. It's quick in that it is written in prose and intended for a Young Adult audience. It is not easy to read and tells the story of a 13 year old girl sold into prostitution by her stepfather. The girl is the narrator and the story is beautifully told through her eyes. There were many scenes that were difficult to read and I was teary-eyed more than once as I turned the pages. I cannot share this novel with my fifth graders as the content is much too mature. But I will think about this novel for quite some time. (also read for SRTC 2011)

Night Road by Kristin Hannah...Kristin Hannah has been a favorite author of mine. I haven't read all her backlist but one day I will! I really enjoyed this novel and Hannah wrote the characters well enough that I found myself cheering a couple on throughout the plot. A great read! (also read for SRTC 2011)

No comments: