Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Slice of Life Day 30

I'm currently running a GATE (gifted and talented education) workshop for about 8 kids on the topic of graphic novels. The kids read a graphic novel, Stormbreaker, on their own time and then we've been discussing this genre and how authors/illustrators portray the storyline in this unique way. Now the kids are writing their own short graphic novel. I have only asked that they not use profanity and also avoid using the names of classmates as characters. Immediately they began with their questions:

Can we have vampires and zombies?
Can we pass it on a book or movie or video game?
Can we put you in it, Mrs. G?
How long does it have to be?
Does it have to be in color?
Can I use violence?
Can I look at more books for ideas?
Can we work on it in class?
When do we have to finish it?
How many characters can we have?

And it makes me think how unwillling they are to take risks without confirmation from a teacher. What have we done to them?

No comments: