Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Slice of Life Day 9

Tonight while at bible study, I received a voice mail from a former student's mom. Her son was in my class last year and had worked really hard to reach proficient status on the CST. Now he is in middle school. He's not doing all the things he should be...homework, paying attention, etc. She asked me for some advice and needed someone to listen.

We spent 40 minutes on the phone together when I got home. First, I just listened to her vent about him and share all her concerns and frustrations. Then I shared with her my journey of raising sons who didn't always want to work to their potential, especially in the middle school years. I told her it was not going to get any easier right away and she might be in for a rough ride for awhile as her son navigated his way through middle school, peer pressure, and finding his way and establishing his identity as he grew older.

When I was in the midst of similar situations with one or more of my sons, I wondered "Why ME?"  What did I do to deserve this from sons who are academically gifted and supported from both parents? Why did I have to suffer through arguments and such?

Now I know why I went through that. I believe God took me on that particular journey so that I could turn around and empathize with others. No, I don't have the answers to getting kids to work to their full potential or do their homework all the time. But I do know how to listen and understand where a frustrated parent is coming from. I do know that praying to God to provide me with patience, strength, and faith make a difference. I do know how much a listening ear helps when you are feeling at your wit's end. I thank God for the journey that allows me to show another mom that I care and can relate. After all, aren't we all here to help each other along the way?

No comments: