Right after submitting my attendance online, I logged in to my work e-mail. Rather quickly, the classroom lights and computer screen flickered and then went off. I have quite a few windows in my classroom but the students still shrieked with the excitement of a power outage. Our principal's voice calmly announced that the entire school was out of power and we should do our best to carry on with our day. He would provide updates as they became available.
"Mrs. G., are we going to read all day?"
"Oh no, now you can't do the lesson using the projector! How will we learn?"
"Are they going to send us home early? Is there no homework since you can't use the copier?"
I assured them that I could still teach the "old-fashioned way" of using the white board. Homework was assigned from textbooks instead of running off a worksheet. The cafeteria had to order out pizza instead of cooking the planned lunchtime meal. Thankfully, the weather was a nice 75 degrees and there was need for neither heat or air conditioning. The power outage continued for the entire school day.
As I assigned the writing home, I told them that if nothing else this power outage gave them something to write about for their slice of life!
2 comments:
old fashioned teaching, heavens, what to do. The kids must have been amazed.
Too funny! I wonder what would have happened if it had somehow affected their computers and cell phones later on, they really would not have known what to do, LOL!
Glad you carried on, valiantly, to let them see there are always other choices :)
Post a Comment