Sunday, March 6, 2011

Slice of Life Day 6

Scrapbooking has been part of my life since July, 2003. That's when my cousin, Marina, hooked me into the hobby. Since then, I've made many scrapbooks for family members, my sons, my mother, and others as gifts. My passion for scrapping has had its ups and downs through the years. I have quite the collection of scrapping supplies worth a small fortune. My husband has been pushing me to either start scrapping more or get rid of all my supplies to eliminate the clutter and space it takes up. I'm not ready to give it up yet because to me it is all about the story and the photos, not the cute supplies.

Today I went to a scrapbook crop at my student's dance studio. Her mom, Tami, invited me to go and it's a fundraiser for her daughter's dance fees. I've done a couple of scrapping dates with Tami and always enjoy our time. I got a few pages done but find my pages turn out differently when I scrapbook with others around. I am focused on talking and looking up often to see the person I'm conversing with. This pattern totally breaks into any flow of creativity that I might be experiencing. And I will say, I am far from creative. Also, scrapping away from home does not inspire me to get the STORY down at all. I cannot write from my heart sitting in the midst of a bunch of people.

While I enjoyed today's scrapping outing and will definitely go to others with Tami, I realize I need to make time to scrap at home. If nothing else, I need to make time to journal at home and then take it with me to put on the scrapbook page when I go to a scrapbook function. Because, in the end, a picture without a story or some type of journaling or caption isn't what I'm interested in capturing in my scrapbooks.

2 comments:

Bree said...

isn't it funny how people are different? I'm exactly the opposite. I can also tell the pages I do at crops because they are so much better. More creative, more journaling. I know most go to the crops to talk with others. I find myself the opposite person. I go and do my thing. I don't ignore those around me, I'm just more focused on my craft.

This year I'm trying to catchup on all my past photos and use up all my supplies, only because like you they have been sitting around forever and I want to use up all the old before I purchase anything new. Good luck with yours.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Oh wow, you summarized my dilemma with scrapping so succinctly! I have small fortune invested in supplies, but I've "fallen off the wagon" in the last several years. My husband wants me to just give it away or throw it out, but I just can't. A big part of me wants to get back and tell those stories and use my cute things. I'm so glad you went and at least made a stab, creative or not, at getting back in "scrapping mode". Good for you! :)