Friday, March 25, 2011

Slice of Life Day 25


Photo taken off Michael's Facebook page

After a very long day at work, I sat in the darkened Cafe West of the high school. My son, Michael, was performing in the spring play Light in the Piazza. He played the part of Roy, Clara's father. It was a small part with only two scenes but I think he played them well.

Sitting there, I thought back to my own high school experience thirty years ago. Why had I never joined the drama group? It looked like a lot of fun up there on stage. Also, I've gained a great deal of insight into the "behind the scenes" lives of drama students since Michael has been involved in drama for three years. The drama kids are a closely knit family with a fabulous, dedicated teacher/coach, Ms. Johnson. The students are wildly supportive of one another and have such an outgoing, obvious LOVE for one another. The energy is amazing.

The whole experience brought me to a very sentimental state of mind. In some ways, I sat there tired and full of melancholy for my youth and my own high school days. In other ways, I felt relieved that all the anxiety of fitting in and being accepted is behind me. At 48, I am confident in myself in a way I was not at 18.

Sitting in that darkened room, I received an unexpected gift of affirmation.

No comments: