"Did you hear? Bonnie called today and said she has to look for a home to put Ed in this spring," Juanita whispers at the beginning of tonight's bible study session. These hushed words throw me for a loop, thinking of Bonnie, a friend from high school. Now, thirty years later, she has to make the decision to put her 56 year old husband into a home for Alzeimer patients.
Naturally, my mind wanders to what it would be like to be Bonnie. How horrible, how devastating, how very scary to go through this process. My heart races a bit thinking about being in the midst of such a huge crisis. I get wrapped up in anxious thoughts, distress, and her heartbreak, imagining Bonnie dealing with all of this each day with no break.
And then I remember where I am at, my mind returns to the present. I am at church, at a bible study, where I am learning more about the goodness of the Lord. It is not that He will take away this burden from Bonnie and her husband. But He will bring her through it, walk with her, give her strength and grace through the journey. This is what I believe, that God is always with us and cares for us more than we can ever imagine. So, then, my concern is not to get anxious for Bonnie, but to pray for her and to reach out to her in support and concern. And, most of all, to trust that God has a plan and I will see His goodness as His plan unfolds for Bonnie and her husband.
No comments:
Post a Comment