Bright sunshine and cool breezes made today an absolutely gorgeous day. After church and some Target shopping, I found myself wantingn to enjoy the outdoors a bit more. I had some jog-a-thon money to spend on books for my class and asked Joseph, my oldest son, to join me on an outing to Barnes and Noble. I may have sweetened the request with the offer to buy him a book or two. OK, so I bribed him but I think he would have gone anyway.
Time alone with Joe is rare. He's a college student (living at home) and works at Gamestop. At 20, he enjoys spending time out with friends or alone in his room, playing his guitar. But Joe has a deep love of reading and finds joy in browsing bookstores. He brought a CD from his collection to enjoy on the 20 minute ride to B&N. The artist was a country/folk singer and the music was relaxing and comforting. We didn't talk much on the drive and just focused on listening to the music. Once at B&N, we parted ways. I purchased the books for my students and he chose a couple of books for me to buy for him. I was hoping the cashier would let me us my educator's discount on the separate purchase of personal books (not the ones for my class) but that didn't happen this time.
On the drive home we chatted a bit about different things. Nothing major. But I couldn't help thinking how quickly time has flown in the life of my little boy. He's an adult. I told him I wished he could go back to being five again just so I could hear his little squeaky voice again. He laughed. I miss the little boy he was but I am oh so grateful for the man he's becoming in the present. During a lull in the conversation, I offered up a deep prayer of gratitude to God for the gift of this beautiful day, my healthy son, and the time spent with him today.
2 comments:
How wonderful that you guys had that outing together! Very thoughtful of you to invite him and very mature of him to accept :) I love that he loves to read, at any age, LOL!
Oh this makes me sad and happy at the same time. My son is 20 and in college as well. I have these feelings every time he comes home. It feels like yesterday that he was just a little tike. It goes so fast.
Post a Comment