Thursday, October 7, 2010

Kindle in the House!

This is my new Amazon Kindle 3G with wi-fi. Jose bought it (and the cute polka dotted case) for my 48th birthday. It just arrived tonight, just in time for my three day weekend. After charging it, I went on Amazon and downloaded a good 10 free books from a variety of genres...bible study resources, the Bible itself, some fiction titles, and some classics like The Scarlet Letter and Pride and Preduidice. I also downloaded two free games...Shattered Rows and another word one I can't remember right now. It feels very weird to read on a device like this and I'm sure it'll take some getting used to.

I've debated if I even wanted an e-reader as I LOVE the feel of a book in my hands and just the joy of seeing a stack of books waiting to be read. However, I am very intrigued by the idea of just carrying a Kindle with me when I travel. On our trip to Hawaii this past summer, our family had to pack books carefully and really think about how many books we were taking due to luggage weight restrictions. With a Kindle, I could easily take more than enough books.

For now, I'm sticking with the free book downloads. My dear friend, Trish, was sweet and sent me an amazon gift certificate online so I could buy some e-books. I'm holding off on that for now, waiting until there is one I really want to buy.

So, do YOU have an e-reader? What are your thoughts? Any free books you really recommend? Leave me a comment and let me know!

No comments: