OK, so I'm a total dork. But I don't consider myself someone who CAN run. By run, I mean "move faster than a brisk, fitness walk". But I want to push myself in fitness, so I have my friend, Roxanne, "coaching" me to get into running. She's run at least two marathons and has coached high school students to become marathon runners.
Today was the day we began running. We met at the middle school track at 4:45. I had on my brand new New Balance running shoes and some fitness bottoms to be comfy. I already was sporting two huge blisteres on my heels from wearing the shoes on a 3.75 mile walk on Monday morning. We started out with her offering some words of advice (don't go for speed, find a good pace, focus on a short distance, set your eyes on something not too far away, run to that point, pick a new focal point, get there, pick another one and so on). We started with only running on the straight stretch of the track and walking the curves.
It wasn't pretty. I was breathing hard and probably looked dorky. But I was "running" and then walking and then got moving again in a jog. I was doing it!!! I pushed myself and for that, I am happy. My blisters were killing me every time we slowed down to walk. Interestingly enough, while I was running, they didn't hurt. Probably due to the fact that my foot was positioned differently to run than walk. Roxanne was very encouraging, saying I did great. When I realize that I have not really "run" at all, since high school P.E. class, I gave myself some credit for the effort.
We'll go again on Thursday. My goal is to make it all the way around the track one time without stopping to walk. The blisters are pretty ugly and I'll need to wear shoes with no backing for the next few days. But I did it and I'm looking forward to challenging myself to go a bit farther each time.
I've got a goal to complete a 5K at the end of October. I may not be able to run the whole distance, but I can walk if I need to do so.

1 comment:
Wow, that's awesome Maria! Good for you! Like you, I probably haven't run in 25 or more years, and unlike you, I don't have a huge desire to do so, LOL! My oldest sister has been training for a 5K and ran her first one earlier this summer. She did the C25K program. My walking buddy wanted to try it, so we got the program on our phones and started it. We only made it to week 2, before she had a lot come up, and we have not only given up, but haven't been able to get together to walk. I'm grateful that my husband has stepped in, and is walking with me 6 days a week. He would run, but I'm the one who is not interested. I know it will jump start my metabolism and probably help me lose weight (right now, I'm lucky if I'm maintaining), but I just can't get motivated. Good for you, and hope you continue training for you 5K. How wonderful to have a friend and coach to help you achieve your goal :)
Post a Comment