I'm sure you're not surprised when I tell you that as a mother of three teenage sons, life can be somewhat unpredictable around here. There are the expected mood swings as they go from being boys to men. They are trying to find out who they are, where they fit in with peers and friends, what their goals and ambitions are, and of course, how their growing need for independence fits into our family structure. It can't be easy for them but it's even harder for me as a mother to trust their choices, not worry, and just learn to "let them go" and grow into adults.
So lately as I've read novels that revolve around teenagers and the difficulties that go with this age, I find myself feeling one of two things. Granted, the novels are FICTION but they're not fantasy or some outlandish plot. The fictional teenagers have attitudes and stay out, come home drunk or late, talk back, tell their parents how miserable their lives are at home. One part of me feels a sense of relief, that some of the things we have been challenged with in raising our boys (namely, the attitude problems) is a common problem in raising teens. Yes, I know some teens are not like that. My three boys were not all the same in this area either. However, it has not been a walk in the park through the teenage years here. I'm just being honest. Don't judge me for that. Another part of me thinks that, while the story is fiction, there are teenagers out there in the real world (and in the pages of the novels) who are so much MORE difficult than my boys have been thus far.
Having said that, I'm not sure if I really want to spend my free time reading fiction about teenagers with major attitude issues. I'm living that life sometimes (on a smaller scale), and I try to forget about the drama if I can. Then to pick up the pages of a book and read it during my leisure "me time" sounds kind of crazy, doesn't it?
For example, the other day I started reading a library book, Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott. Teenage issues are evident in the few pages I have read. While I like Anne Lamott, do I really want to read this book? I'll give it a couple more days and decide.
Sometimes, you don't want your reading material to reflect the drama from your own life? Does anyone else feel this way?
Edited to Add on 9/09/10: I decided to abandon this book and return it to the library for now. I'm going to look for something to read that is very different than my current life.
1 comment:
Well, first, I think you're a terrific mom! And second, I like to read books as a means of entertainment and escape. Which is one reason I read so little non-fiction. I prefer light and breezy to challenging and thought-provoking too :) I do love Christian fiction, so at least it's not trashy light fiction, LOL!
Hope you've found a new book that you love and is making you happy to be reading it :)
Post a Comment