![]() |
| photo taken from google images |
10 of my favorite things about Fall...
1. Cool, crisp weather...I absolutely LOVE when the weather cools off after summer. I love the wind, the gentle breezes, the nip in the air. I love the need for blankets, wraps, cozy throws on the couch, warmer pajamas, using the afghan my mom crocheted for me 30 years ago.
2. Fall cooking and baking...After a warm summer, I always look forward to the cooler weather to inspire me to bake muffins, cakes (apple is a favorite), and cookies. I love the smells lingering in the house as the oven is on, I love to share my baking with our sweet neighbors and my colleagues. I also love to make soup or stews, when I have the time. While Jose does most of the cooking because he's retired and home all day, there's something wonderfully relaxing about cooking a soup or stew when I have the time to do so and unwind.
3. The colors and decorations...I love the reds, oranges, yellows, golds, and browns of the season. I was in Pier One last week with my friend, Tina, and I was loving all the beautiful colors and designs. Loved the smell of the fall candles they have too! Didn't buy much as funds are very limited in September.
4. Fall TV...love when my favorite show, Grey's Anatomy, returns. I don't always get into watching new shows as the rest of the family pretty much hogs the TV. However, I am looking forward to watching Modern Family too. Let's see what else I can get into watching.
5. Comfy, cozy clothes...wearing jeans, sweaters, scarves, and sweatshirts. Wearing the couple pairs of handknit socks that I have so far. One pair from Trish Bloom and another I knit. Living in Southern California, it doesn't really get "cold" here like many other parts of our country. However, we still enjoy getting cozy when our temps did below 60 degrees. LOL My all time favorite sweatshirt is my pink and brown Oregon sweatshirt I bought on our road trip to Oregon and Washington in 2007. I recently bought a thin black "flyaway cardigan" at Kohl's that I'm anxious to wear.
6. Fall drinks and pumpkin goodies at Starbucks...had my first pumpkin spice latte thanks to my friend, Terry, earlier this week. She kindly delivered it to me in the morning at work. I was looking at the pumpkin goodies at Starbucks yesterday while having coffee with my friend, Adrienne. I didn't eat any, but there was the pumpkin loaf, pumpkin scone (a personal fave), and a pumpkin cream cheese muffin. Oh my!
7. An increased desire to pick up my knitting needles...happens when the weather cools off. When we are suffering through sweltering summer heat, I hate to touch anything on my needles. We don't have air conditioning in the house, so I don't knit much in the summer. That's really a shame, because that's when I have all the time to knit, while I'm on vacation from teaching.
8. More exercise...cooler weather means I'm more likely to move my body because it's not too hot. Even though I'm back at work, I hope to get out at least three nights per week for some exercise--either walking with friends or my running training. I'm hoping to schedule some hikes too.
9. Bible study resumes...After a summer off of Wednesday night studies at our church, a new bible study begins in September. It actually began this past Wednesday, but I was unable to attend because of our Back to School Night. This fall, the women will be doing a study on The Table Experience. I did buy the book last week at church and look forward to reading the first chapter this weekend.
10. My birthday...this sounds silly but I love the fall because my birthday is September 28th. While I don't love how my face and body are changing as I age, I do embrace the fact that God has blessed me with all these years. My birthday allows me to remember very concretely how much I am loved and how blessed I am by God with all the family and friends in my life. I also can reflect on where I've been and what my goals are for the future. I can pause and be even more grateful for my good health this year.
What about YOU? What are your favorite things about fall???

1 comment:
Wonderful list! Many of these would be on my list also (although knitting is not), and my birthday is also in the fall (October rather than September).
Believe it or not, I tried the pumpkin spice latte a few years back and didn't like it! I'm probably the only person in the US to say that :) I do love the Christmas ones. But alas, I gave up caffeine a few months ago, to try to help with my tinnitus. Wonder if they make them in decaf? I splurged and bought myself some flavored decaf coffee, but have yet to make any. My husband doesn't do flavored coffee :)
I can't wait to start cooking and baking. Making bread is another favorite of mine. And really looking forward to Fall TV (and football here, although I know that one wouldn't make your list!) :)
I'm ready for earlier evenings, for the sun to set sooner, I love snuggling up at home and having a long night. I am really wishing for cooler temps, still in the mid 90's here. Ugh. Come on fall, hurry up!
Post a Comment