Monday, August 9, 2010

July Books...A Little Late!

Never did a post about the July books I read so here goes...

Little Bee by Chris Cleave...loved this book and highly recommend it. What a fascinating story!

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks...enjoyed this one too. Need to see the movie. I used to read every Nicholas Sparks book as soon as it was on sale. Not doing that as much anymore but it was good to catch up on this one. Enjoyed the storyline of the family relationship as well as the setting...summer at the beach.

Needles and Pearls by Gil McNeil...picked this one off the new books shelf at library. The knitting aspect got to me though it wasn't really focused odn knitting very much. The book is set in England and I usually don't like to read books set there because of the different "lingo". LOL  But it was a quick read for the plane trip to Hawaii and while I was there.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot...this book was my FAVORITE read of the month. It's a non-fiction book which tells the amazing story of the HeLa cells used by scientists to research and treat many illnesses and diseases. Fascinating and I highly recommend it! One of my former students, Sarah, had to read it for her freshman seminar at Hollins University. We had lunch together a week or so ago and discussed it. Sarah is a writer and it was interesting to discuss it from the perspective of "reading like a writer" too.

I didn't read nearly as much as I wanted to this month. I spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME online.

So, what was your favorite read of July? Tell me in the comments. Maybe I'll find a new book I want to check out!

No comments: