Monday, December 28, 2009

Crystal Cove, Cupcakes, and Comedy

Today, as a mutual gift, my friend, Terry and I went to breakfast at The Beachcomber Cafe in Crystal Cove, near Newport Beach. It was absolutely gorgeous. I enjoyed pumpkin pancakes with fresh whipped cream while Terry had bacon and eggs. The weather was perfect and we sat out on the patio overlooking the Pacific Ocean. You have to park a bit aways and walk down to the beach. On the way, there's this old car near the Crystal Cove gift shop. Everything's just quaint and fun. It's so beautiful to see the tall palm trees stretch up into the blue sky. Families are milling about on the beach taking photos while waiting for their table to be ready. Terry said it's a very popular place, she had to make reservations even though it was a weekday morning. Going there made me grateful to live in Southern California where you can visit the beach in December and enjoy such beauty.


Afterwards, Terry wanted me to try Sprinkles cupcakes. She had already printed out the choices for the day off the website. I called home and got orders from the family. Boy, was it hard to decide while looking at all these beautiful cupcakes. Even the box presentation was adorable! Matthew got a spice eggnog cupcake, Jose got the lemon one, Joe picked cinnamon sugar, and Michael and Natalie got black and whites (which is chocolate cupcake with vanilla icing).  I got a vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting. They were a splurge at $3.25 apiece but this place is not near home at all and I won't be going back anytime soon. While it was a delicious cupcake, I can't say that it is the best I've ever eaten. I think the novelty of the shop and its cuteness was the big draw on this one.

After that fun stop, we headed to the movie theatre where we saw It's Complicated with Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin. I absolutely loved the movie, it was entertaining, endearing, and had gorgeous scenery to boot! It's one I definitely want to buy on DVD this year. All in all, it was a great day spent with a very dear friend.

No comments: