Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom

Even though my mother is not on this earth anymore, I still think of her daily, miss her, and wish she was alive and well with me. However, my faith rejoices in her presence in heaven and the hope to see her again one day. This is the fourth year of celebrating her birthday without her and while I did not have the opportunity to visit her grave yet this week, I want to take the time to document some memories about my beloved mother:

Mom was the best cook ever. She cooked almost everything from scratch, did not use recipes or cookbooks, and was very patient in the kitchen. We rarely ever ate fast food or out while we were growing up.

Mom also was a fabulous baker. She made dozens of Christmas cookies every holiday season. We used to keep track and sometimes she made nearly 80 dozen cookies--a wide variety, all from scratch. She would give them to family and friends, her doctor and his staff, and neighbors. She was famous for these cookies and people looked forward to receiving them.

Mom was very intelligent though she did not have the opportunity to get an advanced education. She was brilliant at math and never used a calculator her whole life. Everything was done using "mental math" or on scratch paper.

Mom loved to play cards and as children we had many long summer days of playing German Rummy and Canasta with her.

Mom always sacrified for her children. She rarely bought herself anything and when she had extra money, she would buy us a treat.

Mom honored the traditions of her German heritage. Christmas Eve was her favorite holiday. It was always special and it has never been the same since she died.

Mom loved her siblings and her parents. She would often speak of missing her parents long after they had died. I understand how she felt now. You never get over missing your mother and father.

Mom loved to read and always had us participate in the summer library reading program.

Mom was an active member of the PTA in our elementary school, and junior and senior high schools. She was well-respected, reliable, and everyone coveted her potluck dishes. Her cabbage rolls and stuffed green peppers were a favorite of the PTA women.

Mom was trained as a seamstress in Europe. She sewed clothes for my sister and I when we were younger and even for me in high school and college. She made several of the bridesmaid dresses for our wedding.

Mom lived for her children and her grandchildren. I do not remember one time that she was selfish with her time or love. Not once.

Mom loved listening to Perry Como, Dean Martin, Andy Williams, and Elvis Presley on records. She loved listening to German music on the radio on the weekends.

Mom loved Eggos with cream cheese for breakfast. She loved her coffee as much as I do. She enjoyed pastries and fried fish sandwiches. She loved grapes and bananas.

Mom had a beautiful singing voice. She loved to hold her grandchildren as babies all cuddled up in her arms and sing them to sleep with German lullabies. Her voice was a tremendous comfort to them and us as children.

Mom loved game shows and crime drama series. For a long time she watched The Doctors, Days of Our Lives, and Another World when we were kids. Then she gave them up one day. Said it was a waste of time.
In her last years, she loved watching Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, House, and all the CSI shows.

Mom was very humble and thanked people for any kindness they showed her. When she was in the hospital, she was a gracious patient who always wanted to avoid bothering the nurses for help.

Mom was incredibly brave. She lived through World War II while living in Hannover, Germany. My father fought under Hitler's Army and she and her family ran across the graveyard to the bomb shelter when the Americans bombed Germany. She lived through it and told the stories to us.

Mom told us she loved us at the end of every conversation on the phone and at the end of every visit with her. Because of this, I have no regrets about her knowing how I felt for her. She taught me how to love others and my own family.

My mom was the best mom I could have ever asked for. I thank God for a mother such as her. I know many people were never blessed like this and I don't take the gift of my mother for granted.

Miss you, Mom. See you again some day...

1 comment:

Christine said...

Love you Maria - and I was so happy to read your post, as I know now how you got to be the amazing woman that you are - what a great woman!!!