Sunday, August 31, 2008

So Excited


for Joe, our oldest son. Today was his first day of four days of orientation at Whittier College (here's the link: Home). His father and I went to a three hour parent session where different panels rotated through the theatre room and shared inportant information with us. Since the college is only about 15 miles from our home, JOe will be a commuter. My hope is that he can somehow live on the campus next year, though cost is prohibitive.

I'm just so excited about his future and all the wonderful, learning, intense experiences that are waiting for him. The college is very small, the incoming freshman class is only about 400 students. This college provides the opportunity for students to really know the faculty and make lifelong connections.

Joe was there today from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and goes back today. The college is intent on supporting their students transition to college. Each student has two peer mentors assigned to him (upperclassmen) and one mentor professor that stays with him the entire four years. Because the classes are small (around 20 students, I think), if attendance is an issue, the student will be referred to an "Early Alert" system where the Dean will contact the student to talk about any type of problem, not just attendance.

I can't wait to hear all about his next experiences. The campus is gorgeous, close to home, and houses a college that will challenge and change him to make him an even stronger individual.

Even though I'm still adjusting to being the "mother of a college student", I'm incredibly excited for him. Also, I'm seriously envious of his opportunities and youth. Ahhh, to be young again with the wisdom I've gained now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such an exciting time for Joe--and Whittier looks like it will teach and mentor him. Wonderful!