isn't easy for me. I'm a rather big packrat. I believe this "fault" is mostly due to the fact that I am very, very sentimental. For years, I saved every greeting card signed by my mother. With her advancing age, I never knew if it would be the last birthday card she wrote to me. Same for the cards she gave our three sons on their birthdays. Last summer, I had to go through them. There were too many. And because she was no longer with us, I knew the cards from 2005 were her last ones to us. So many, many cards went in the recycling bin. Very hard to do for me. But I realized that they are only things and I kept a few that meant a lot to me.
I also have had trouble throwing out letters and cards from students and their parents expressing appreciation for teaching the child. They are heartfelt and mean so much to me. But I can't keep them all. I've only taught for 10 years and there are literally at least 100 cards or letters. Special cards from girlfriends. I asked myself, "How often will you truly look through these again? There is so much life to live. Am I really going to spend it looking through boxes of cards?" So I tried to store all the good feelings in my heart and added to the recycle bin.
Clothes are hard to get rid of too. I've lost 90 lbs. since mid-2003. I've got rid of my size 24 clothes, except for one pair of jeans. Those I just refolded and put back in the drawer. I put them on once a year or so to remind myself of how far I have come (I can wear a size 10 or 12 now). I finally donated a bunch of clothes that are my size now that just don't fit right or look right. Cute "pajama sets" that my hubby gave me that just don't look right on me. I didn't want to give them away because he had picked them out for me. But they were taking up space and I never wore them. In the "donated pile" they finally went.
Then there are the knick knacks. Stuff that friends and students have given me. Cute "lovey" things from my husband. School things the boys made in elementary school (which was years ago). The things from friends and students are easier to let go. The family made or given ones are not. I'm trying to cut down though.
Let's not get started on the books, ok? Our home is small with minimal space for bookshelves. Hubby and I are both desiring a less cluttered look in our home. But we are a family of readers---serious readers here. (OK, there are some serious DVD watchers too. Myself included when it comes to chick flicks). In the past, he and I often bought whatever book we wanted. Since he retired a year ago, I've got him used to reading books from the library and buying less. I try to buy less too. You all know I'm a big fan of using the library. But we have so many hardback books, many by James Patterson, Harlan Coben, and so on. Most of my books are put away in boxes right now. I try to pass them on once I've read them. Hubby has collected his books. I think it is time to pass them on. I'm wondering if we should try to sell them online or somehow to get something out of all the money we have spent on them. They are hardback books. Any ideas?
So today I spent time "decluttering" in our bedroom. I filled one plastic bag with papers and magazines to recycle. I threw out one bag of stuff, including pajamas that were XXL and old t-shirts stained with coffee (no idea why I was keeping those around). I also filled a box for the donation center with gently worn clothes, knick knacks and such. Things look a bit better but there is a long way to go.
I desire a home that is free of clutter. However, I want some of my things around to make me smile. I refuse to clear off every surface completely and not allow books to pile up if they so desire. After all, we live here. There are five individuals with hopes, dreams, and hobbies in this little 1200 sq. foot home. I need to find a balance. All I know is that I have a difficult time letting go of stuff. I'm getting better. But it sure isn't easy!
1 comment:
Hi Maria,
You are so right on this one. I just cleaned out all of my old clothes too, some dating back to the 1990's. Don't want to go back there again. LOL I kept two vests because I used to love vests. I also box up alot of my books and put them in the garage but just can't part with them yet. There are a few I read over and over. And I also have kept quite a few cards over the years. But you are right, keep a few that have special meaning and clear the rest away. Are you going back to school soon?
Post a Comment