Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Just amazed

at my oldest son, Joseph. He's 17 and growing up so quickly. He has really been talking to me a lot lately and I'm so appreciative of our relationship. Just last night he brought up these thoughts:

Money is a factor in everything we do. The world revolves around money, whether you have it or not. He just began his AP Economics class and has an incredible teacher. Prior to last night, Joseph thought money wasn't that important. His father and I were trying to instill in him that supporting yourself and making sure you have money is very important. He had visions of being a "traveling musician" without a need for a "real job." Last night, we spoke about how we shouldn't idolize money but all the things it can provide for you. Mostly, I pointed out that it allows you to have a safe home--somewhere that you have shelter and comfort. Which is even more important if you have children.

He's loving politics and the election. He's glued to the TV watching results. He was reading up on Clinton's platform and discussing that she is "for abortion" with me. We are pro-life here in our home. I told him she's not "for abortion" but "pro-choice". This led into a discussion of the difference between the two and what might happen if the "choice" were made illegal for women. He also is thinking about what party to declare when he registers to vote this fall. He told his father that he realizes this election will impact him life in many ways.

Last but not least, we spoke of our relationship. He tells me he loves me several times a day. I asked him why he loves me so much. He said he realized what good parents he has and how much he appreciates us. That the things we did as we raised him were for his benefit. That us "being strict" was to guide him and protect him. That he is who he is because of the choices we made raising him. That if we had been overly permissive, he might be a whole different person today, headed in a different direction. Some parents wait a whole lifetime to hear something like this, and I just wanted to document the moment. Am I one blessed mother, or what?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great conversations with your son! We've noticed that Shelby is more open with us and more receptive to things we discuss with her. It's amazing how overnight the kids grow up and become adults. It sounds like you've done a great job raising your son. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

You are indeed blessed! He sounds like a very loving young man. I've been meaning to ask you if you have any ideas for your blog yet. I keep forgetting to send you some sites to visit.

Trish said...

Kaitlyn and I had a similar conversation this week when she interviewed me for an assignment in her parenting class. She sees that kids who don't have as much guidance, or as many rules or restrictions, often end up getting in trouble, etc. She said she was glad that we set boundraries for her, and understands the reasons for it, and she will do the same with her children.

Christine said...

Maria, I have a HUGE smile on my face - what a great boy, what great conversations and what a great moment to be a parent. Hold onto it as the precious thing it is. {{{{Maria}}}

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Joseph is really growing up. Treasure these moments..I'm so glad he appreciates you!