
I love to knit and I figure eventually I will run out of people to knit for (that want my knitting, LOL). I like to try and think of those less fortunate than me. I have been very blessed in my life. We are definitely not "well off" by any means, but we have never gone hungry or been without a warm or safe home. I have been giving some thought to charity knitting and decided that I am not going to wait until I run out of recipients before I begin knitting for charity. In fact, I came up with a fairly good idea (at least I think so!). I really want to contribute to Welcome to WarmUpAmerica! So I have decided I will make a cardboard template of a 7x9" rectangle (the size they request), add some leftover yarns, the correct size needles, and put it all in a tote bag to leave at work. When I have a few moments during recess or lunch (remember, I'm a teacher, we don't get a long lunch!), I will work on knitting up some rectangles.
I'm entertaining grand ideas of possibly beginning a knitting/crochet club for students next year. I'd recruit a parent I know who crochets well. I'm thinking of limiting it to maybe 20 students (grades 3-5) for an eight week period (a couple of times a week or so). Once they have mastered the basics, they can volunteer to help teach the next group of students who are interested. I'm envisioning maybe getting the students to knit/crochet the rectangles for WarmUpAmerica! Wouldn't that be cool? Maybe we could even make the afghans there and then donate them somewhere locally in our community. Just something that I am thinking about...trying to make a difference and inspire others to do the same.
3 comments:
I, along with a group of knitters on a WW board, knit rectangles for Warm Up America. They were all sent to me, and I joined them. I took the afghan to a woman's shelter in the town where I live and sent a note to Warm Up America. It felt really nice to do something like that.
In fact, in my knitting basket right now I have about 10 more rectangles. I think I'll pull out the yarn and start making more.
I think having the children contribute after having a class in knitting/crocheting would be a great idea. Something fun for them to do but would also teach a wonderful lesson in sharing and love.
Great idea, Maria. You are so generous...always thinking of ways to share of your talents and time. Including the kids is a great idea. They will get the satisfaction of helping someone in need, and learn knitting or crocheting that they will hopefully enjoy for life!
Great idea Maria. I am going to sign up once again to learn how to knit at our local high school. Hope I'm not the only one again. LOL
Post a Comment