Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas

It's a time for family and friends, near and far. Remembering the Gift of the very first Christmas, Jesus Christ. It's not about the gifts because in a few months, those will be a blur. But it's about the time spent with those we love.

Yesterday I was blessed to spend some quality time with my dearest friend from junior high and high school. He was in town visiting his parents. He came by with gifts galore for the boys and hubby and I. Then he and I went out for dessert to catch up. Just the two of us. We've been friends since we were in junior high and through the years after college graduation he's moved out of the area several times. But he always comes home for Christmas so I get to see him at least once a year. As we sat over coffee last night, we marveled how we could be in our mid-40s. We discussed jobs, health, and deep, deep thoughts about death, faith, heaven, and self-fulfillment. We remembered my mother and he let me cry. As we walked me to the door, he told me that should I ever need anything, to call on him. He knows I have my family for support, but he reminded me that he is always there for me. He is a true friend, one of the heart, and I am blessed to have him in my life for over 30 years.

I've baked my heart out. Some days I have not felt like it. But there is really one main reason that I do it. I bake for others because my mother did so up until her last Christmas at age 80. It's one way that I can remember her and carry on the tradition. I bake some of her recipes and some others that I've accumulated through the years. When I deliver the baked goodies to friends each Christmas Eve, I see the joy on their faces. And I remember why my mother did it. People used to look forward to her cookies all year long. When I bake, I think of Mom standing in her kitchen, rolling out cookies. And it's during those times I feel especially close to her. And that feeling makes all the hard work worth it.

Christmas is a time to remember. Remember our past Christmases as children and the ones when our children were small. It's a time to pause and remember the family and friends who are celebrating Christmas with Jesus now. It's a time to make new memories and hold those dear to us just a little bit closer.

Merry, merry Christmas to you and your family. May God bless you with all that you need to make the holiday a special one. And a special prayer for the men and women who are serving our country and their families who miss them this season. May God bring them all home safely to their loved ones.

1 comment:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Hope you and yours had a wonderful, happy and very blessed Christmas!