and realizing my life needs some. I've been thinking about this on and off for a few weeks. My time spent online is excessive compared to my other "hobbies." I admit I spend too much time surfing the net reading blogs and checking them for updates. I don't need to do this daily for all the blogs I like to check on. I could check most of them once a week, on the weekend, and catch up. I could have finished a lot of books and knit up several scarves in the time I've spent online. I'm realizing that I may very well look back one day and regret the time spent online. I already do. I've missed out on what's happening right here.
My oldest son is off to college next year. While he may commute from home, that's not for sure now. I don't know if he is moving away to college or staying local. Either way, my days of having him home every night are numbered. Is this how I really want to spend them? Online?
We've had some difficult news in my extended family. My sister's kidney function continues to decline. She's facing dialysis and a future kidney transplant. Her children are four and two. She's 41 years old. I need to think about her and spend time with her. Be supportive. My older brother has the beginning of melanoma. He hasn't even told me. I heard it from our sister. There are no guarantees in life for good health. I need to continue to try and be healthy. Right now, I am the only "healthy" one of my siblings. Both my brothers have diabetes. My sister's kidneys are slowly failing her. Our parents are gone. Reality is slapping me in the face. I need to get to walking nightly again and not waste my precious time excessively online.
I will still be blogging. Just maybe not so often. I'll be reading, knitting, and baking for my family more often. Talking to my sister and brother more. Maybe going to see her during the week instead of just the weekends. I'll take time to just hang out with my sons instead of us all doing our own things in the same home. Cuddle with my husband more. Maybe start scrapbooking again. Journaling my memories. Making more memories.
I'm 45 years old. I need to stop and think that I'm not going to live forever. I need to use my time wisely.
This quote says it all. Kind of ironic that what I'm thinking was so well said by a philosopher over 2,000 years ago.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend.
Theophrastus (372 BC - 287 BC), from Diogenes Laertius, Lives of Eminent Philosophers
5 comments:
I agree family is way too important. Online can tend to get in the way at times. I have noticed in myself at times. I am trying to organize my time a bit better. I am reading more books...that's a plus for me.
We need to pay attention to the things, life and families that are more important in life.
Take care
I'm so sorry your sister isn't doing any better. That is frightening. Like you said, there are no guarantees in life, for good health or for anything. Do what you need to do, try not to stress, and enjoy the moment.
LOVED this post... and I echo your sentiments. :)
Amen, sista! Food for thought, that's for sure. I spend too much time ditzing around on this thing too...maybe because it's readily available and pretty much always signed on so I can check for business emails. No excuse...I have to admit a lot of time online is wasted, and could be spent being much more productive during the day, or spent with the family in the evening.
Your words speak to me today, Maria - on all counts. I will be keeping your family and especially your sister in my continued prayers. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{Maria}}}}}}}}}}}}
Post a Comment