Thursday, September 13, 2007

An unexpected apology

This morning, on the way to school, my youngest son had a bit of an attitude. He snapped at his twin brother because he had taken the front seat, leaving the youngest to the back seat in the van. His attitude escalated and was a full blown one by the time we made it the few blocks to school. I told him he had been unkind and needed to calm down. Did I mention he doesn't appreciate that maternal advice? Well, he doesn't. By the time I let him out of the van, he was upset with me and stormed off. I had suspended his computer time for three days. I told him I didn't appreciate him ruining my morning with his rantings. Once at work, I became busy with my teaching and coaching duties. My head soon filled with other thoughts and the argument was forgotten.

Afterschool, my cell phone rang. The conversation went like this:
Youngest son: Hi, Mom.
Me: Hi, sweetie. What's up?
Him: I called to apologize to you.
Me: Why?
Him: I thought about it a lot today and I was very rude to you. Disrespectful too. I shouldn't have been so mean.
Me: This is good. I'm glad you thought about it. Did Dad make you call me?
Him: No, he doesn't know I'm calling. I wanted to do it on my own. I'm sorry.
Me: Thank you. That means so much to me. I wasn't expecting this from you. I love you.
Him: Me too, Mom. See you later.

And he didn't even ask to have his computer time reinstated. Not on the phone and not when I came home. What I did get when I came home was a huge hug and an "I love you, Mom."

Maybe he is growing up just a little bit, huh? These teenage years can be tough on all of us.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Our little boys ARE still in there, and you just glimpsed the man he's going to become. {{{{Maria}}}}

Trish said...

Aw, that's so sweet. You've raised him well, Maria, and it shows.

Stephanie Coats said...

Aahhhh, he's such a sweetie pie. We all get frustrated at times, realizing its effect on others and apologizing is so 'right and mature'. He's a smart kid, one you should be very proud of (which I know you are).

P.S. I really enjoyed him during your visit here!!