Well, I didn't get a chance to read nearly as much as I wanted to in June. Between the school year ending on June 12th and all the work that entails (report cards, cumulative records, cleaning up and closing my classroom) and writing all the essays for my County Teacher of the Year (TOY) application that was due on June 17th, I had to fight to find time to read. Writing the essays was so challenging and overwhelming that when I DID take a break, I had no interest in seeing more words.
That being said, I only read two books in June. They were both rather long, coming in at a total of 904 pages between the two of them. Both were library books.
The first one I read this month is Divergent by Veronica Roth. This YA novel has been on my to read list for a while. I wanted to see if it would be an appropriate book to add to my fifth grade classroom library. I really had to push myself to get through the first 200 pages of this book. I just couldn't get lost in the story. I enjoyed the latter part of the book much more. I decided this book is definitely NOT going to be purchased for my fifth graders as I believe the themes of violence and romance are too mature for my students. It's the first book in a series and I'm not sure if I am interested in reading the rest of it.
The second book I read was Is This Tomorrow by Caroline Leavitt. I really enjoyed this book. I loved the setting of the 1950s and the way the author portrayed the characters. She convinced me to care for all of them. I'd recommend this book to others who enjoy a good storyline.
So...my goal for July is to read TEN books! I think I am going to have to choose some shorter books to make that goal. I've got a huge stack of library books here. And I need to read And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (the author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns) for our family book club on July 20th. I'm excited about the good reading I've got ahead of me!
What have you read lately that you've loved?
1 comment:
I think I broke my all time record for books read in a month, in June. I was shocked when I counted on my list and added up 18. Definitely a record for me! Some of my favorites were the French Twist series (Christian chick-lit about a girl who goes to France to learn to be a pastry chef) and the last book that Maeve Binchy wrote before she died, A Week in Winter. I read several cozies (clean mysteries) that I enjoyed too. Yesterday I finished Inferno by Dan Brown (got it on Kindle loan from the library), and today I started the third in the Guardians of Justice series, Lethal Legacy, by Christian author Irene Hannon (also a library digital loan). Not sure what is after that, I don't tend to line books up as I'm such a moody reader!
Hope you meet your goal for July and you're having a great summer Maria!
Post a Comment