Saturday, October 23, 2010

Yes, I'm Addicted and Yes, I Know It's Bad for Me

but the question is am I strong enough to give up drinking soda completely? I don't drink regular soda because of the sugar levels. But I know that diet soda is not good for me either. So why do I drink it? I'm addicted to the wonderful carbonation and caffeine on a hot day or a stressful day. This morning I read this blog post on 10 reasons to give up soda. They all are such valid points. I don't usually buy soda for our home anymore unless we are expecting company. My husband has given up soda. I don't like my boys to drink it yet I am guilty of craving a diet coke many a time.

Photo taken by me in March 2008 when
playing with my new Canon Rebel.
Can I give it up? I always justify drinking it in that there are no calories in it. But what about all the other stuff that is in it? As the blog post points out, there is NOTHING natural in it at all, it is all man-made. That can't be good.

What's the point of trying to exercise and eat healthier when I put junk like diet soda into my body?

For today, I will not drink diet soda. Normally this is not a huge challenge if I am staying home because there is no diet soda at home. However, I'm going out to lunch with my friend, Vicki, and I usually get a diet Coke with my meal. Today, I vow to drink water or some other type of non diet drink with my lunch.

I guess it will be just like breaking any other bad habit, you take one day at a time or one meal at a time, or in some cases, one hour at a time. Thankfully, Diet Coke is not something I drink every day anymore but the days I do drink it, I drink a lot, especially if I'm at a restaurant.

So, here's to today and making a better choice for what I'm drinking.

EDITED to ADD: I succeeded in only drinking water at lunch, with a nice slice of lemon in it. It's a start.

2 comments:

Trish said...

I've been drinking WAY too much Pepsi lately too. As of 2 weeks ago I have cut way back. I was drinking 2 or 3 Pepsis a day, and now I can go 2 or 3 days without having any, and then I might have one. I've been drinking a lot more water. It's hard to give up pop. I've done it before, and hopefully I can do it again. Let's support each other in this endeavor!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Good for you! Hope this is still going well. I gave up caffeine, for the most part, earlier this year (to try to help with my tinnitus). It was hard for the first few days, I had a bad headache. I have also tried to limit my soda (obviously cutting out all the ones that have caffeine, but some don't, like Sprite and my most favorite, Cranberry Splash from Sierra Mist). It is hard and I have days where I really want something, and I usually have a glass. But other days, I just drink water, juice, milk and I"m fine. Water is easier for me in the summer, and harder in the winter (seems to make me colder!). I have given up caffeine though (I recently added decaf coffee back in though), so I think that you could easily give up soda (do you drink coffee or tea?). :)

Keep it up, I know you're going to do great overall!