Saturday, October 30, 2010

October Reads

Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen...a young adult novel. Overall, it wasn't my favorite of this author's novels but I did enjoy it. I often think that I wish all these books were available when I was a teenager. How I would have loved to read them from the library.

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier had me turning the pages, anticipating the next turn in the plot. This book is on the banned books list and I wanted to read it. I wrote about it here earlier this week. I loved it so much that I convinced my son, Matthew, to read it. He read it in less than a day and really enjoyed it as well. I've already put a hold on the sequel at our library.

Henry's Sisters by Cathy Lamb is the first full novel I read on my Kindle. I'll be honest, I didn't like this book at the beginning. I was actually rather peeved that I had spent $10 of my gift card from Trish on it. But I stuck with it and really came to care about the characters in the novel. I was surprised to find myself crying during a couple of scenes. I haven't cried over a book in quite a while. I can't even remember the last book that made me cry. That being said, I think this was probably my favorite read this month. It went fairly quickly on the Kindle. I think I'll check out more of Cathy Lamb's novels, though probably from the library.

What did YOU read this month? What was your favorite book? Leave a comment and let me know.

1 comment:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Love seeing what others are reading! I have not read a Cathy Lamb book, if my memory is correct. I'm glad you stuck with it and it got better (and I'm with you, I don't cry often reading books, so when I do, they make a big impact!). Am I correct that you like reading on your Kindle? I really do so far, somehow it seems faster! LOL!

I "read" several in October, although one I finished on October 1 (so obviously I read it mostly in September!), one from the library called "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet". I also finished a trilogy that I borrowed from my sister, semi-Amish fiction, and I read a couple of freebies on my Kindle. I'm debating which book to purchase next!

Happy Reading, and hope November is a wonderful month for you and your family :)