This morning I was at the hospital lab at 8 a.m. with a package from UC Davis Transplant Center. I had the blessing of a wonderful lab technician, Michael. He filled the eight vials in the package with my blood and kept me talking about teaching and science instead of my inclination to slightly panic about all the blood being taken. He said he would have to take a lot more before I would feel the effect of it. I was nervous about being at the lab alone and having to drive myself to work afterwards. He reassured me that I'd be ok and even offered me some orange juice afterwards. I declined and was fine.
So I then took the carefully packaged box of my blood to Kinko's Fed Ex store and dropped it off. It's a very weird feeling to leave a lab with your blood in vials inside a box. Even weirder to leave it to be mailed to the northern part of our beautiful state.
But in the end, what really strikes me is that God was with me every step of the way. He calmed my anxious heart, blessed me with a caring and patient lab tech, and made sure I was fine all on my own. Really, on the drive to work, I realized I really was NOT alone. After all, God was with me every step of the way, just as he will be when I go through my kidney donation surgery sometime in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment