Sunday, August 22, 2010

Facebook: The Good and The Bad

So I'll be the first to admit I am shamelessly addicted to Facebook...on my laptop and on my Droid phone. I am quite proud of myself that I haven't started playing any of the games yet, though some of them look tempting like the food ones. LOL  But I know my addictive personality and it has to stop somewhere.

So, the bad first...it's a major time waster. I get sucked in and keep refreshing it like some fabulous news is going to come up any minute. Also, you have people that went to the same high school sending you friend requests. I don't remember these people yet I don't want to be "rude" as we are having our 30th high school reunion this weekend. I may see them there! I've already decided that once the reunion is over, if I haven't connected with these "unknown friends" in a meaningful way there, that I'm going to delete them from my friends. Does that seem mean?  Also, several of my former students have requested me to be their friend. I don't mind this, as I like to keep up with former students. However...I do not like seeing their use of profanity and references to inappropriate things (remember, I'm rather conservative here).  One of them is so in love with her boyfriend that all she posts are extra sappy love messages about him all day long. I've "hidden" her updates. Having said that, there are students I'm genuinely excited to be in touch with now that they've moved on to college and such. Don't get me started on their spelling errors...LOL. I know I taught them the proper use of "there, their, they're" and "to, two, too" as well as plural versus possessive use of the letter s.

The good part of Facebook is keeping in touch with friends I previously lost touch with. You know, those ones you wondered what ever happened to them. Most of them are on FB now. Don't know if we will ever hang out again, but nice to know how they're doing every once in awhile if and when they update their status. I enjoy seeing the photos too.

I think the best part of Facebook for me is it gives me a forum to send a positive message out into my "friend" land. I can put up a quote, give someone something to thnk about. I can share a scripture verse and share my faith without shoving it down someone's throat. I can encourage someone, share my own frustrations, and my appreciation for my blessings. It's a good thing!

1 comment:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Wonderful post Maria! I totally agree with the addictive quality (and be glad you have not started the games, I have and they are a major addiction and time waster for me). I also agree about the friends from high school and college. I don't mind "friending" people, and hate to hit ignore if I do know the person and remember them, but I think that for a lot of people, it's more about how many friends they have than who they remember and want to connect with. Anyway, I do love your posts on there and photos and updates and verses :) I'm so glad you're on there, and blogging too! :)