Monday, January 11, 2010

Breakfast Thoughts

So, in my quest to eat healthy meals, I need to examine my breakfast practices the most. I come from a long history of eating sweets for breakfast with my fresh cup of coffee. Not a good thing, I know. Once I lost 70+ pounds, I got in the habit of eating a Nature Valley Oats and Honey granola bar (well, the package has 2 bars) for breakfast with coffee. Satisfied my sweet tooth and had only 180 calories! That lasted me till recess when I would have fruit or yogurt.  I'm not forcing myself to admit there is little nutritional value in this breakfast. Sure, it's low-cal, but there's no protein, very little fiber, and not much else to get excited about (other than it tastes great with my coffee, LOL).  So I asked Jose not to buy them in bulk at Costco anymore.

That said, what to eat now? I don't want to cook a "big breakfast" but want something balanced and with protein. I tried a frozen breakfast sandwich yesterday.  It was fairly tasty and filling.  Cold cereal is ok but not always filling enough for the one serving size. 

Share some ideas on what you eat for breakfast that's healthy and packs a lot of punch for the calories. I need some new ideas!

4 comments:

sara said...

I love a piece of toast with a little peanut butter on it. it is amazingly filling and not a lot of calories!

I have been praying for your sister today. That God would provide a donor quickly and that she would not have to go on dialysis.

Trish said...

a tortilla spread with a little peanut butter, half a banana, sliced. Some vanilla yogurt and a sprinkle of healthy/fiber filled cereal. Yum

Amy --- Just A Titch said...

Hardboiled egg + toast with PB, turkey bacon and egg whites

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I'm not much help on this front. I eat oatmeal about 6 or 7 days a week this time of year, and 5 or 6 days a week in the summer. Trying to keep my cholesterol down, and it really does fill me up. I add dried fruit to mine, flax seed, butter, splenda and milk, so mine is oatmeal on steroids :) I do mine in the microwave in an extra deep bowl and so it's ready in just 2-3 minutes. The other days, I usually eat Cheerios!

We do have breakfast for supper quite often. Pancakes, waffles, eggs, turkey bacon, grits (so Southern!), oatmeal, wheat toast, some combo of those :)

Let us know what you find that works for you :)