Monday, August 24, 2009

Loving Affirmation From a Teenage Boy


This is my youngest son, Michael. Late last night, he came home from a week at a Christian camp. He didn't take his cell phone and we were not in contact with him. When he got off the bus and hugged his father and I, he told us, "I need to talk to you when we get home. It's something really big. Don't worry, it's nothing bad."
So, after his shower, he came in and sat down in our room with us. He told us how many of the teenagers at camp with him shared about their broken families, parents deserting them, one parent or both not keeping in touch with them, not supporting them emotionally, spiritually, or financially in their lives. He said he heard one sad story after another causing him to realize how fortunate he was to come from a home like ours.
Then, with tears in his eyes, he looked at us and thanked us for staying married and giving him this home life. He thanked us for supporting him in all he does, for being there, encouraging him, loving him, and for loving each other. He said he realized how very blessed he was to have us for parents. And he thanked us again.
And I write it here on this blog because I never want to forget this moment. And I want to thank God for blessing me with this son who is strong enough in himself and his faith to not be embarrassed to show his true feelings to his parents.

3 comments:

Trish said...

I am catching up on some of my blog reading tonight, and have to tell you that this brought tears of happiness to my eyes. How wonderful that he shared his thoughts and feelings with you like that. You have done an incredible job of raising your boys, and it is showing in ways like this. Diane told me that Michael and Matthew are such nice young men, and she was happy to have met them. (and you and Jose! She loved all of you!) You are blessed!

Karen said...

I loved reading this. I also had tears in my eyes. Truly a moment you'll treasure!

Christine said...

wow. what a son...and what parents to inspire such a reaction. Totally emotional reading this -