So far in April, I've read this book. I'm not sure where I even heard of it, must have been on someone's blog. I wish I had bought this book in paperback so that I could write in it, highlight certain passages, and just "make it mine." Ortberg is a gifted writer who uses humor, quotes, and stories to make his point. And what is his point? That when we die, everything goes back in the box except for God and people. Those are the "things" that we take into eternity with us. So, it's crucial that we stop and evaluate how we spend our time and what our commitments are to the things that matter. This book came at a perfect time in my life. My teenage sons are getting more independent every day. It's easy to fill up the extra time their independence allows me with more committees or other activities. And while those committees serve important causes, my family should be my first priority. Sometimes that is easy to forget when they are teenagers and don't want to hang out with their family too often.After spending three days with Charlie in his beautiful home where I had "kitchen envy" and just "beautiful home" envy, I needed this stark reminder that as humans, we will always want "more stuff" or "better stuff" than we have right now. That doesn't mean I shouldn't want to fix my shabby kitchen up, it just means that I shouldn't place a price on my joy or happiness "when the kitchen is remodeled."
It's important to be grateful for all you have in life. If you stop and think "it could be worse" for every situation you are in, you will learn to live with an attitude of gratitude. Although I desperately want to remodel my kitchen, "it could be worse." I could not own my home. I could not have a kitchen at all; I could be cooking on the roadside like some people in India. Maybe the most glaring way "it could be worse" is that I don't have a family or loved one to cook for at all in my shabby kitchen.
I got so much out of this book. It was an entertaining read as well as a thought-provoking one. I will definitely be looking for more of this author's books.
Read it, you won't regret your time investment. You will find yourself thinking about "your stuff" and, more importantly, all the ways you can show gratitude in your life.
2 comments:
Great post Maria! I am going to the book store tonight so I will check this out. Thanks for the recommendation and have a wonderful Easter with your family!
This really food for thought. Thanks for the recommendation!
Post a Comment