Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Book Giving

Yesterday I was thinking about the thrill of giving and receiving books as a gift. I love when I receive a great book as a gift. I know the giver has put some serious thought into what type of book to buy for me. This past birthday I received several books: Wednesday Letters, A New Earth, Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook, The Book of Bright Ideas and a cake mix cookbook. Trouble with getting me books, is that I have read many of them. Of the books I received, I had read all but A New Earth and the cake mix cookbook. I returned the others and have a store credit.

As far as giving books, I like to share some of my favorite authors with others. In addition, I give serious thought to what book might touch the person at this point of his or her life. I recently gave my friend, Emily, Letter to My Daughter, Maya Angelou. She loves it and has shared some quotes from it with me. For my animal-loving cousin, I try to find a book about dogs or cats (fiction usually). I've decided this Christmas, I'm giving my nephews and nieces from my side of the family books as their gifts. My granddaughter will get more books.

So, my question to you is...what books will you be giving this holiday season? Which books are you hoping to receive? Which books are on your wish list? And which books have you received as gifts that you cherish? Leave a post and let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always give books because I am a real reader, too! And, even before I met Jason Wright, I was giving away his Christmas Jars book! I will give more away this year.

Speaking of The Wednesday Letters, I work with Jason and thought you’d like knowing he has a new contest on his web site where you can win a free trip-for-two to his hometown in VA, the Shenandoah Valley. All you have to do is mail him a Christmas card! All the details are here:

http://www.jasonfwright.com/triptosvalley.php