Thursday, August 7, 2008

Beginning Steps


My sister needs a new kidney. I have agreed to be tested as a potential donor. Neither of our brothers can do so as they are diabetic. Her husband is also going to be tested. I filled out the basic "potential donor form" a couple of weeks ago and received a call from the hospital. Because of my family history of diabetes (both of our parents were diabetics), I was required to take a two hour glucose tolerance test to determine if I am a candidate to go on and be tested in more depth. This morning I went to the lab for the test. It wasn't pleasant but it wasn't awful. The biggest pain was staying at the lab for two hours and having blood drawn every hour. The first hour I read my book. The second hour I worked on knitting a hat and listened to knitting podcasts. I should get the results when I see my doctor in a week or so. Then we'll know if I can be tested to see if I'm a possible match to give my sister a kidney. It's a somewhat scary road to go down, but today I took the beginning steps. And no matter what the results are, I have faith that God has my sister in His care.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a wonderful, special person, Maria. I'm so sorry that your sister needs a kidney, but if you're able to donate one to her,that is the ultimate gift. I have you both in my prayers!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Oh wow, what a wonderful thing to do. I can't imagine what all you might have to go through. Interesting about the glucose test, I know nothing about diabetes or anything like that, so I like learning about it from you :) Hope it all works out for the best, as you said, she's in the Lord's care and that's the very best place she can be :)

I'll add you and your sister to my prayer list. Be sure to let us know how both of you are doing :)

Trish said...

I am praying that you are a match for your sister, and I will keep both of you in my prayers during this journey. You are an angel on earth, my dear friend. Hugs to you both.

Karen said...

You have a beautiful sister Maria! What a wonderful thing for you to do for her. I hope it all works out.
You both will certainly be in my prayers!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful, loving gift for your sister. I will pray for you both. Diabetes is in my family also. Take care Maria.