Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Dinner Conversation

between five teenage boys (my 3 sons and two of my nephews), my husband, and I covered a variety of topics over In n' Out burgers and Animal Style Fries last night. Income taxes (flat vs. bracket), community service, work ethics, freshman reading material, movies, and raising families were all touched on during dinner. My husband was sharing some "regrets" with the boys on how we had raised them--you know, things we should have done better (like make them work harder around the house!). We got on the topic of children being raised with structure, especially having a schedule for meals, bedtimes, etc. Joe asked if he had been on a schedule for bedtime, etc. as a young child. I said, "Of course!"

Then this absolutely priceless comment came out of Joe's mouth. "I want to raise my kids exactly like I was raised because I really like the way I turned out." Oh my gosh, my husband and I were laughing so hard! Yes, it is a compliment but I think we have raised a son with a very healthy dose of self-esteem. I just had to blog about it because I don't ever want to forget this one! Then our middle son, Matthew, exclaimed, "I don't know if I want to have kids. What if they turn out horrible?" Interesting that they are thinking of these things, huh?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great comment Maria. I love that he said that. Hope you are having a wonderufl summer!!

Christine said...

I have caught up with your blog! woot! I'm so glad that I caught up to this entry - what a wonderful comment - hold that and treasure it for what it is. You did a great job with him and he knows it! You've had such a wonderfully busy and full life the past two months - great to catch up on all the goodness. {{{Maria}}