Members of our Board of Education are visiting our school this afternoon. Right after lunch. Think the kids will be on their best behavior? I'm thinking maybe not so much.
The visit, I think, is to primarily view the school grounds and to go through classrooms and see the posted students' work. I have a theory about this that I firmly stand by. And here it is, if you care to read it....
People will not necessarily see evidence up on the wall, posted for all to see, of what I do for my students as their teacher. What I would love to tell visitors and parents at Open House is this, "I worked hard this year to instill a love of learning in your child. I taught them ways to problem solve in math. I encouraged them to develop or strengthen a love of reading and to explore new genres. I instilled in them a love of writing, of telling their own stories in the written word, of documenting their thoughts. I showed them how to be curious about this world we live in. I encouraged them to be kind to one another, caring of others, and to believe in themselves. I taught them that school will be challenging at times, but we must press on and do our best. Always to do our best."
That's what I believe I do each day. If that work ethic and love of learning is not reflected on the walls of my classroom, I can live with that. Because I wholeheartedly believe that what I instill in my students goes beyond the walls of our classroom. It is something that I hope each and every one of them will carry with them when they leave Room 402 and third grade in June.
1 comment:
You are an incredible teacher, Maria. Any child who is fortunate to have you as a teacher will definitely benefit from your constant dedication, and how much you care about shaping their futures. I wish every teacher had this same dedication and commitment.
Post a Comment