Sunday, November 11, 2007

Christmas books for young readers...

are what's been on my mind this morning. Here are some favorites that I have shared with my young students. I look forward to reading them again each holiday season:


An Orange for Frankie, by Patricia Polacco is probably my all-time favorite holiday read for children. It gives them a perspective on what it's like to grow up in poverty but with great joy and faith. I highly recommend it. Another great read by Patricia Polacco is Welcome Comfort. This is a fun and joyful story that children will love to hear over and over again! How Santa Got His Job, by Stephen Krensky is a fun read too! My students really get a kick out of it. Of course, no holiday season is complete without several readings of The Polar Express, by Chris Van Allsburg. Another cool holiday book is The Soldiers' Night Before Christmas, by Trish Holland. It's one my teaching partner shared with me last year. One to read aloud to the kids, or have independent readers read to themselves is this fun chapter book: Best Christmas Pageant Ever, by Barbara Robinson. Children are certain to enjoy the highjinks of the children in the story. And a final favorite that comes to mind is Too Many Tamales, by Gary Soto.


I hope you find something to put on your shopping list for a beloved child in your life. If you have other great books to share with me, please leave a comment. I'm always looking to add two or three books to my classroom library each season.


Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maria: Thank you so much these titles are just what I was looking for. I'm going to purchase and orange for Frankie this year, and add the others to my wish list for coming years! Great "meeting" you!

Molly