Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Life is too short...

to read books that don't appeal to me! After three chapters and a mere 37 pages, I've decided to abandon The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. I just cannot imagine this whole scenario or seem to care about the main character. I do admit the first sentence is a great lead--
"When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily." However, that's the best thing of the pages I read. This one is going back to the library tomorrow for someone else to read. I'm extremely disappointed. I found both of her other books, The Lovely Bones and Lucky, to be gripping stories. This one gets "two thumbs down."

If time allows, I'm going to begin Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo tonight. At least the reviews and ratings at bn.com are favorable. I can't say the same for the ratings given to The Almost Moon.

Thank God for the library. I hate when I waste my hard-earned money on a hardback book and hate it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean. I may still try it, as I love Sebold... but maybe I will feel the same way... I will let you know :))))) Let me know how the other one turns out.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Ooh, good for you! I have the hardest time giving up books, but I'm still trying. And you're so right, it's so much better to utilize the library. I absolutely positively hate paying good money for a book that I don't like or love. The library is a much better choice :)

Hope the next one is MUCH better!

Happy Reading!!!

Anonymous said...

Maria, Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm so glad to find another reader/knitter/WW lady! I've added you to my sidebar - I hope that's OK.

I've been using the library more and more. There are still some books that I HAVE to own, but others - why not use the library for free?

Dianne said...

I've heard 'The Lovely Bones' is good, but I've never read it. I need to give it a read since you're about the 4th person I've known to mention it.