Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Book Talk

I love to read. No matter how stressed out I am, I need to have a book going. Something to turn out to "forget about it all." My last book, After This, was not so great, very depressing. And it wasn't even an Oprah pick, LOL.

Now I've started The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. Perhaps you read The Lovely Bones by her. That was a compelling read in my opinion. Not so sure about The Almost Moon. It certainly starts off in a suprising manner. So far it's the story of a grown woman and her relationship with her aging, demented mother. Touchy subject for me to read, just 20 months after my mother's passing. I'm able to read it so far without getting too emotional. Probably because her feelings about her mother are so different than my own experience. So I'll keep plugging along when time allows. Has anyone else read it?

And speaking of reading, my dear blog readers, what is in your TBR (to be read) pile? Any holiday books? Anything great to recommend? I'd love to know!

5 comments:

Heather said...

Hi Maria!
I have been reading your thoughts for a few weeks now, and I am enjoying your blog. Julia sent me the link. Iam reading tha tsame book right now and like you, I am no sure. I really enjoyed The Lovely Bones, but this one hasn't grabbed me in the same way. I am halfway through, so I am not optimistic it will go into my favorites of 2007 pile. I would recommend The Glass Castle, Lullabies for Little Criminals and the newest one by Laura Moriarty (which I forget the name of). I really enjoyed all of those.
Our blog is
www.heatherphotography.typepad.com
Take care!
Heather/Canada

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Well, talk about books is one of my favorite things! I always have to have one book going too. Can't have two though, I'm funny that way :)

I read for escapism, nothing too deep or heavy. I prefer light and fluffy most of the time! I just finished a cute little cozy mystery and am reading a series book right now (6 of 7 so far). Up next is either a Christian fiction that I picked out, or the one I picked up today at the store... "Home to Holly Springs" by Jan Karon. The Mitford books are on my all-time favorite list, so this was a must for me :)

Oh, and I recently picked up a paperback of Lovely Bones at a local library sale. But, it's in the pile with the 60 or 70 something-odd pile in my (embarrasing) TBR pile :)

Happy Reading!!!

Anonymous said...

I just picked up The Almost Moon today, but haven't started it yet. Lovely Bones was a book I almost didn't read due to the subject matter, but it is one I remember to this day for the way it affected me. Especially the last line.
I picked up John Grisham's new one Playing for Pizza at the library too. This one is about football and Italy...sounds promising!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the Lovely Bones and The Almost Moon has been on my 'to read' list, too!!! Let me know if you end up liking it more... or what your over all opinion is once you finish it. Did you read Lucky by Sebold? It's good, but pretty rough-- the topic, I mean. :0)

ON my to read list:
eat pray love

I'm currently reading "Restless Virgins-- a real story from a New England prep school"... It's pretty good but a little graphic-- since I'm a teacher, though, i'm interested in what is going on in the minds of these teens! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.