Thursday, October 4, 2007

Catching a glimpse...


of the men my sons are becoming. Tonight I suggested the family go out to dinner at Chipotle: Gourmet Burritos and Tacos. My husband and one of our sons had been there before but not the other two sons. The reason I suggested we go out to dinner is that I was missing some uninterrupted quality time with my sons and hubby too. It has been a busy two weeks with evening events, etc. At home, we haven't all been eating dinner at the same time and if we have, the boys are quick to eat and get up to return to homework, TV, or other distractions. I knew at the restaurant they'd be stuck there. We'd have some time to talk and focus on each other.


It was good. The conversation included a debate about if people really use calculus after learning it for school. Oldest son, a senior, is taking AP Calculus and doesn't see the point of it. We also discussed student council elections, food, colleges, and vegetarians vs. vegans.


I looked around the small table we were sitting at there. I saw my three sons, these wonderful boys I gave birth to over a decade ago. I can't believe they are all teenagers. Each one of them is an incredible person. They are all so different, even the twins. Especially the twins. Different interests, passions, and personalities. Already thinking about what they want to do with their lives. Sharing their thoughts with their father and I. Trusting us to accept what they are sharing and guide them in their future.


I'm realizing that I like the young men that they are growing into right before my very eyes. That my husband and I have done a good job so far raising them. They are strong students, polite, well-mannered. They are thinking about this world, questioning why some things are the way they are. They know that we love them beyond anything else. That we love each other with a strong conviction. They know that we want them to help change the world in their own way. For the better. That we are behind them 100%. That they mean the world to me.

Tonight, I caught a glimpse of my little boys and the men they will one day be. It's a bittersweet realization as a mother. Time passes so quickly. But it is what life is meant to be. I am blessed.

1 comment:

Christine said...

{{{Maria}}} Wonderful young men they are. Michael would tell you that you do use Calculus - I might differ, but the thought that you MAY use calculus and should at least know what it is would be an argument for its existence (and maybe an easy A in college if you take it there after the AP class? that is from experience LOL)