Sunday, September 2, 2007

Girl time!



Yesterday I spent half the day with my husband's sister. We met for breakfast at Panera. She'd never been there for breakfast before despite the fact that it was walking distance from her home. I gave her recommendations of some of my favorites, we ordered, and sat down for a two and a half hour talk over a pastry and numerous cups of coffee. Our topics of conversations ranged from preschoolers (she's a preschool nurse and I'm grandma to a preschooler), to teenage boys and hormones, husbands, retirement, our health, family, smoking, and how we can do "more" for others in this world. We also discussed travel plans and how we can coordinate a trip for our families and another sister-in-law's family to Mexico to visit their hometown where my husband was born.

After hogging the booth so long at Panera's, we went shopping at Kohl's. It was time to buy myself some new school clothes. Even teachers need a new outfit on the first day of school! I gravitated toward the "jersey" type of fabrics and bought three dressy blouses, one dress, and two pairs of dress capris. I like to dress professionally when teaching. I think the kids and parents take me more seriously. Oh, I do love our casual days but I am going to make a more concerted effort to "dress up" each day. I also bought a long necklace and matching earrings with some green stones on it. I don't have a lot of costume jewelry and rarely look in that section of the store. But I saw so much cute stuff and decided when things were on sale, I'd buy a fun piece of jewelry to add to my wardrobe. Why not? I'm not over the hill quite yet!

I had such a fun time yesterday. Just remembering that we are all connected together, often with the same hopes and dreams, fears and worries. I feel very blessed to have such wonderful sister-in-laws and need to make the time to see them more often. When I see her on Saturday to scrapbook with her daughter, we are going to set our next breakfast date.

Life goes by too quickly. I need to remember to slow down and enjoy the people God has blessed me with in my life.

1 comment:

Stephanie Coats said...

Sounds like the perfect day!!