Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Veggie Grill

Today I took two of my sons to The Veggie Grill in Long Beach for lunch. We were celebrating an early birthday lunch for Matthew.  Both boys were pretty excited about the lunch because the restaurant is 100% plant based food...NO meat or dairy products. Joe, my eldest, has already been there a few times and RAVES about the food.  Joe is a vegan (no meat and no dairy products).  Matthew, the birthday boy, has been a vegetarian since 8th grade, almost 6 years now. Matt will not eat any meat at all (including fish) but he does he dairy products.

Here's Matt, very much looking forward to his "Grilled Chickin" sandwich. In the forefront of the photo is the appetizer...chicken strips. They were really good and had the consistency and texture of chicken though they were not meat.

Joe had a "steak sandwich." I took a bite of the steak and was amazed at how it looked, smelled, and tasty like meat but definitely was not.
 
I decided to play it safe and ordered sweet potato fries and a salad that had papaya, avocado, cucumber and quinoa. That was my first time eating quinoa. It was interesting in texture. I honestly didn't notice much in the taste area of it.



Joe was looking forward to having dessert too...a "grilled cookie with chocolate pudding, crema and chocolate sauce". I took a bite but was pretty full from my salad. Matt was being silly by intentionally closing his eyes in this photo since Joe closed his eyes in the photo above of the two of them.

Overall, it was a great outing with two of my boys. Michael (also the birthday boy tomorrow) is working at a Salvation Army Camp in Calabasas and will be home on Saturday to celebrate with us this weekend.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That's great that you were able to find a restaurant that catered to your boys' dietary needs -- that takes so much stress out of eating out! I love quinoa, but you're right, it's fairly flavorless on its own. The good news about that is that it can be used in a lot fo different ways, anything from breakfast porridge with cinnamon & raisins to southwest/Mexican flavors.