Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Finally Finished!

After finally ordering a replacement bamboo needle from Knitpicks.com and finishing up some other knitting, I got out my second sock last night and replaced the broken needle with the new one. I was surprised to discover I was almost ready for the toe decreases. I worked on it a bit last night and finished it up tonight. I then tried to take some decent pictures in the dark living room. I finally gave up and decided to post these. I'm really proud of myself for accomplishing this knitting without the help of a knitting teacher by my side. Of course, Trish, helped me through countless instant messages and e-mails. I used many youtube resources to demonstrate heel turns and the kitchener stitch for grafting the toes. If you look closely, you'll see that the sock on the top has a different "sole" than the bottom one. There was one of my big learning errors but I was too stubborn to rip it all out and start again. I figured this way I'd always know which pair of socks were my original pair of handknit socks. Best of all, they do fit on my feet! And I didn't even knit a gauge swatch which I better do in the future. I still had some yarn left over so I realize I could have made the legs or cuffs longer. Oh well, not a bad job for a beginner sock knitter, huh? The next pair of socks I will cast on will be for my husband using sock yarn I bought when we went to Sedona, AZ last spring vacation.

Speaking of sock yarn, here is the yarn I bought in San Diego over Veterans' Day weekend. I plan to make myself a pair of socks with this yarn next year. I'm thinking of my knitting goals for 2009 and the goals definitely include some major sock knitting!






I also finished knitting a beautiful baby blanket for my husband's niece, Diana. I only cast on the blanket eight days before the baby shower. I pretty much knit all the free time that I had that week. Thank God for the Veterans' Day holiday and an extra day off last week. I pulled some late nights and early weekend mornings to finish in time. I've decided that I definitely don't like knitting under pressure! Here's a couple of pics of the blanket knit with Swish Worsted from Knitpicks. The yarn is 100% superwash merino from Peru. It was definitely more expensive than the acrylic yarn readily available at Michael's but I wanted something special. I also decided to go with a non-traditional shade of blue for the expected baby boy. Diana and her husband married on a mountain top in Lake Tahoe so I wanted a color to remind them of the blue of the lake. This color is called "Marine Heather" and I loved the shades of green that were very faint in the blue yarn.

So, that's two major projects done. I also finished a scarf and hat set for my sister-in-law. She was so happy with it as she gets cold easily. It wasn't anything fancy and was knit in boring black yarn, at her request.
Next up to finish:
  • The fringe on Joe's Harry Potter scarf (not sure if he'll get to use it, we are back up in the 80s and 90s right now!)

  • A purple scarf for a former student, katie, for her Christmas gift

2 comments:

Trish said...

Holy cow, Maria, that's a lot of knitting in 8 days! It's just beautiful! I"ve been marathon-knitting too. I started a scarf last Thursday evening and am hoping to wear it to knit night tonight. I figured last night that I've knit over 30,000 stitches in 6 days. Yikes! (that's not counting the 4000+ that it took to finish my sweater on Friday)

And I love the socks. I'm so proud of you. Socks are not an easy thing to do on your own the first time. WTG!

Unknown said...

Maria,

Your socks are great. There's no way I could even began to figure that out. I love the colors and the blanket is so sweet. You do great work!