Sunday, June 22, 2008

Lazy Summer Days

describe my weekend. Yesterday, I baked the cookies and had to cut the melted together chips into "chunks" to add to the batter. Here they are:

To thank me for baking in the heat, Joe granted my wish of a nice cold Diet Coke from Jack in the Box. LOL...sometimes a fountain drink is just what is needed! Now that he has his license, I may be asking for more of these from him.







After that, I went out to lunch with my niece, Sonia. We had a great time catching up and enjoyed a Brownie Hot Fudge Sundae to celebrate her birthday (which was in April). The air-conditioned restaurant was a real treat for a couple of hours.


Since we were under an "excessive heat advisory" from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., I just took it easy. I cast on for a new scarf made with 100% Peruvian wool that I bought in Sedona this spring. I am using the Yarn Harlot's one row handspun scarf pattern (seen in the October 2006 archives on her blog). Here's what I had started yesterday:


and after lots of knitting today, I am almost done with the first skein. I love the way the scarf looks. Not sure who the recipient will be, it is either going to be a birthday or Christmas gift for a friend or co-worker. At some points throughout the day, it was too hot to hold the wool and knit.

To keep me occupied while knitting, I watched Season One and Two of Seinfeld today. That was very entertaining. I wasn't a big Seinfeld fan when the show originally aired and have seen most of them in reruns. While having pizza for dinner, I also watched City of Angels. What a great romance movie. I love Nicholas Cage!

I managed to get some reading done too. I decided to abandon Certain Girls. I gave it over 100 pages and it still didn't suck me in so back to the library it goes. Later tonight I'll finally begin Hold Tight. My hubby already read it the first time I had it out from the library but then I had to return it because there were other holds on it. Now I've got it back again for ME! He promises me I won't abandon this book and I know Harlan Coben will come through for me with some exciting reading!

Well, time to shut this hot laptop down. I'm still behind on reading blogs and e-mail. I have lots I want to accomplish this week but I need some cooler weather! The forecast promises weather in the low 80s all week but somehow I just can't believe it. It's been over 100 degrees for the last four or five days. I know it's summer but does it have to be this hot???

2 comments:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Those cookies look so good! I know what you mean about the chips. I made the mistake of buying a huge bag of semi-sweet chips at Sam's Club. Threw them in my SUV, never thinking... DUH, in this heat, they'll melt! Now I have one large chunk of chocolate that I keep in the freezer. I have to take it out, let it thaw out a bit, and then start hacking on it to get chunks for cookies or brownies :)

Sounds like a great weekend. I hope you have AC with temps like that. Ours is running almost non-stop this time of year.

Sorry to hear the Weiner book was not good. I've had Harlan Coben on my new-author list but haven't gotten to any of his yet. Him and Stephen White and another dude I can't remember at the moment :)

Happy Reading!

Unknown said...

Hi Maria,
Your cookies look great. Sounds like you are having a good summer and catching up with fun stuff. Stay cool!