Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I teach



I absolutely love the first day of school. The air is crisp with excitement, the school is overflowing with good feelings, joy, nervousness, and high hopes for a great year. As teachers we are anxious to meet our new students. Parents seem excited to drop off their kids after a long summer at home. Students are anxious to meet their teachers, see their friends, and start a new school year. It's a very special feeling, one that really can't be put into words. I am blessed to be a teacher, a career that I feel is my calling from God. It's "what I do", not "who I am" but it is very important to me. I love teaching my students, being their "mom" at school, caring for their academic needs, as well as their emotional and physical ones at school. I love making school a good place for them to be, somewhere they are excited to return to each day.

Today I looked at their twenty little faces and thought, "Wow, these are MY kids for the next 179 days." I can't wait to light the fire for learning underneath them and hopefully inspire them to become lifelong learners. And they pay me to do this?! Yes, it is hard work. But it is incredible, fulfilling, lifechanging work. And I feel so lucky that I can do it.

Today I thanked God that I have the opportunity to make a difference in each one of their lives. What that difference may be is unknown to me at this moment. But the chance will come and I hope I recognize it when it arrives. I can be the one who teaches them to love reading, makes math concepts easier to understand. Maybe they'll love science because I taught it in a fun way. Or maybe they'll learn to love writing as a way to express themselves. Maybe my example of healthy eating will encourage them to make better choices for themselves. Maybe one will grow up to be a teacher because of me. Maybe one of them will feel less afraid because I cared for them. I know I can make a difference. I just don't know when it will happen. But I have faith it will happen for me. And that is why I get up and go to work every morning with a smile on my face and happiness in my heart. I teach and I make a difference.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maria, you are the kind of teacher every parent prays their kid can be blessed with. Have a wonderful school year!

Trish said...

Those 20 children are so fortunate to have you as a guiding force in their lives this year. I'm sure they will remember you always. Have a great school year!

Stephanie Coats said...

I wish you were Kylie's teacher, Maria! Those students are blessed. You are a true treasure.

Cheryl said...

This post makes me cry because of what a special person and teacher you are. A good teacher makes such a difference and I don't think good teachers always know just how special they are. You are special, my friend. Hold that in your heart and realize what a gift you have.