When my siblings and I were small children, my mother would take us to the city wading pool. We'd spend countless hours there in the summer with Mom sitting in the shade nearby. She'd work on wordsearch puzzles or read. It was a fun, cool way to spend the time for a family that was definitely on a limited budget.
Mom would pack us snacks or lunch and some cold drinks. She'd patiently sit out there as we played together, shrieking in delight as we splashed one another and made up silly water games. I remember thinking the wading pool seemed so big at the time, that it was such a distance across the pool. I can almost place myself there again with the hot sun shining down on us and the smell of chlorine in the air. And Mom always there with us.
Mom has been gone now for nearly 18 months. Today my sister and I took her two children to my city's wading pool. We sat together on the bench watching over them playing in the water that was only one foot deep. They shrieked, jumped, and splashed each other. We talking of going to the wading pool when we were kids. Our memories. We were there today together, for the first time ever with her two little ones. And while we were there, I also felt our mother's strong presence in our midst. I can imagine Mom smiling today, thinking of her two little girls all grown up and continuing one of the fun summer traditions that she raised us on. And thinking of Mom, and our own summer memories of the wading pool, is the best part of today for me.
3 comments:
We have a town pool that my mom would take us to when we were small. Often we would go with another family and we'd all pile into the station wagon and spend the day. Thanks for giving me my own childhood flashback today!
thanks for sharing the memories with us, Maria!
{{{Maria}}} What a great memory, thanks for sharing it with us! I'm gad you and your sister were able to share your memories with the kids and among yourselves.
Post a Comment